An easy and delicious dinner that works as a packed lunch. Stuff these potatoes with any of your favorite taco toppings!
I’ve been thinking lately. (If you ask my husband, he’ll say that means more work for him! HA!) I have soooooo many ideas for my blog based on my readers interests; it’s hard to pick which one I should follow through on first.
For example, both my Dad & Husband say I need to post more recipes of ‘real’ food. Meaning less sweets and more, ‘What’s for dinner?’ I agree, so I’ve put my thoughts into action with this Vegan Taco Stuffed Baked Potato!
My Dad actually took it upon himself to make this delicious Vegetarian Beef Stew so I could share some ‘real’ food inspiration with my readers!
I also want to do packed lunch, menu plans, and meal prep posts – but be able to encompass all of them together so you can save time and money!
Like these Vegan Taco Stuffed Baked Potatoes. They were easy to make for dinner and I made a few extra to pack for my lunches!
The beauty of tacos, including this Vegan Taco Stuff Baked Potato, is you can put whatever toppings you want on it! I kept mine simple for the pictures, but you could add beans, rice, tomatoes, avocado, black olives, onion, and pepper. We’ve even tried crushing Fritos and adding it to our potatoes – that’s now our favorite way to have them!
I used Morningstar Griller Crumbles for the ‘meat,’ browned in a little oil with taco seasoning. For the ‘cheese,’ I used my Grandma’s Vegan Cheese Sauce. And you can use whatever vegan sour cream you prefer!
It is imperative that you prepare the Vegan Cheese Sauce ahead of time! It needs to be in the refrigerator, ready to grab, in order for these Vegan Taco Stuffed Baked Potatoes to be easy.
I repeat – the Vegan Cheese Sauce MUST be made AHEAD OF TIME!
Quite frankly I don’t have all day to sit around and wait for a potato to bake! So I bake them the non-traditional way.
I wash them. Then I use a fork to poke random holes in the potatoes. I put them in a glass pan and then I put them in the microwave for 10 minutes. Longer if they are big potatoes.
Meanwhile the oven is preheating to 425 degrees.
I am hoping you are sitting down for this one… but I don’t wrap the potatoes in tin foil. Gasp! I am such a rebel.
One day I was taking the potatoes out of the microwave to transfer into tin foil and I just decided I didn’t feel like dealing with rolling a hot potato into tin foil with an oven mit anymore. So I restored my sanity and put them in the oven from the microwave – they turned out just fine! As a matter of fact, I like them better that way.
Put them in the oven for 20 minutes or so, it really just depends on the size of your potatoes.
Oh yes, something else worth noting! Use Yukon Gold potatoes. They are softer and just have an overall better taste and texture!
Vegan Taco Stuffed Baked Potato
Vegan Taco Stuffed Baked Potato, an easy and delicious dinner that works as a packed lunch. Stuff these potatoes with any of your favorite taco toppings!
- Desired Number of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Washed
- Morningstar Griller Crumbles
- McCormick Mild Taco Seasoning
- A Little Oil
- Choice of Taco Toppings (Beans, Rice, Tomatoes, Avocado, Black Olives, Crushed Fritos, Onion, Pepper)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash desired number of potatoes. Using a fork, poke random holes throughout potatoes. Place in a glass pan. Put into microwave for 10 minutes, up to 5 minutes longer if the potatoes are large. When time is up, place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, may need additional time if the potatoes are large.
- Combine a bag of Morningstar Griller Crumbles, with seasoning and a little oil. Stir frequently until browned.
- Prepare your choice of taco toppings. For example, beans, rice, tomatoes, avocado, black olives, crushed Fritos, onion, pepper, etc. If using the Vegan Cheese Sauce, prepare ahead of time.
- Once potatoes are thoroughly baked, slice open and top with taco toppings!